Home


Sunday, May 23, 2010

Welcome to Mason :)


So much has happened in the last week, I don't know where to begin! I moved to Fairfax, Virginia last weekend (which is the cutest town ever) and started my internship in the Office of Orientation and Family Programs (OFPS) at George Mason. Mason is an amazing place and I'm even more excited for this summer than I already was. OFPS is going to be a great place to work-my supervisors seem like a lot of fun and will definitely help me develop as a young professional. This week has been a lot of meetings, 1:1s, getting to know the office and campus culture, learning about the projects I'll be working on this summer, staff bonding over team building ropes course retreats, personal story sharing, and family dinners. I'm realizing more and more everyday that student affairs is my passion. Mason is an up and coming school with a lot of new construction and traditions developing daily- definitely an exciting time to work in student affairs here! Mason has an absolutely beautiful campus and my roommates and I are taking advantage of the paths to go running every night and are planning on signing up for a few races this summer. The students here are some of the most energetic, passionate, and diverse that I have ever seen. I know we will have a lot of laughs this summer. It feels like my co-intern (twintern as we have been called) Katie from UGA and I have known each other for ever- it's nice having a fellow Elon alum here. Our other roommate also named Katie is in my program at USC which is nice to have a piece of HESA with me here. On Friday we all took the Metro into the city and went to the Nats game. I love summertime and nothing says summer quite like a baseball game, fireworks, cold drink just minutes from the monuments! On Saturday we brainstormed team-building activities, made door decks for the Patriot Leaders, went to Target, and then cooked dinner for the Head Team girls- who are hysterical. This weekend we also set up our apartment and relaxed getting to know each other. Sunday my Dad and sister stopped in for lunch on their drive back to New Jersey which was a nice surprise! The Patriot Leaders all moved into our building tonight so I'm excited for training to begin tomorrow!

1 comment: