Home


Monday, May 24, 2010

Orientation...A Day in the Life


I am quickly discovering that to work in Orientation one must wear many hats. Every day has been exciting but very different. I have already had the chance to meet quite a few campus partners who I am looking forward to working with this summer. Also, one of my supervisors included me in a development meeting with Ikea last week which was so interesting. Ikea will be donating over $15,000 worth of merchandise to the program and decorating the display residence hall rooms during Orientation sessions. I was fascinated to learn about the whole process. I have also been working a lot to plan Family Programs during Orientation as well as helping the Head Team girls with their projects, mainly preparing for retreat and summer training. Today the Patriot Leaders arrived which was very exciting! Katie and I had been learning their names and hearing stories about them all week. They are an energetic bunch that are all beyond passionate about Mason and providing incoming students and their families a welcoming visit and transition to college life. Katie and I facilitated a namegame and team-building activity before dinner with the PLs. We can already tell that it is going to be an entertaining bunch! Some of the students have already gotten very deep with the stories that they have shared, which is so wonderful to be a part of. We leave for a staff-wide retreat tomorrow to Maryland. I'm excited to be able to spend so much time with the PLs, Head Team, and ProStaff to increase the family feel even more, but I'm also nervous about the second high ropes course of the week as heights are not really my thing (I'm sure there will be plenty of challenge and support), also we're meeting at 5:30 am so it's bedtime for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment